Heat Pump Solar Dryer
The unit consists of the solar collector system and the heat pump system The working fluids for the collector and the heat pump systems are air and refrigerant, respectively. The heat pump system has four components namely the evaporator, expansion valve, condenser and compressor. The unit can operate in three modes namely (a) heat pump and solar collector (b) solar collector and (c) heat pump which will enable it to operate continuously. The product to be dried or dehumidified is placed in the trays in the drying chamber. Inlet ambient air will be induced by a fan and pass through the solar collector. The incoming solar radiation will heat the solar collector and will direct it to the drying chamber to pick up moisture from the product. The moisture-laden air at is then directed to the evaporator and the water vapor for the air can be remove. The conditioned air is directed to the condenser and solar collector. This will produce higher temperature that is properly dehumidifies and readily flows through the drying chamber.
INSPIRATION OF THE INVENTION
The is a need for an environment friendly and energy efficient technolgy for high value-added dried products.
PROBLEM STATEMENT & CURRENT ISSUES
The traditional method of open sun drying is subjected to many risks. The risks are spoilage both during process and subsequent storage, insect and microbial infestation, and dust accumulation resulting in low quality products.
INVENTIVENESS & NOVELTY
- The solar collector has several heat transfer enhancement features such as dual pass, fins, and integrated storage system that improve efficiency.
- The heat pump has dual condeser with high coefficient of performance
USEFULNESS & APPLICATION
- Environment friendly system – The use of fossil fuel for drying will result in environmental degradation
- Energy Saving and low risk
- Highly profitable business (2 – 6 months payback period)
IMPACT OF THE PRODUCT
High value products – high quality dried fruit for cereal to heat sensitive medicinal herbs, almost all agricutural to marine products
- The solar assisted heat pump solar dryer unit is an efficient method for drying and dehumidification of agricultural and marine products.
- Sales of Dried Food Product for Malaysia in 2020 – (RM 4000 million)
TRL : 7
- Plantation for water holding materials/fertilizer
- Sanitary and hygienist: diapers, absorbance sheets (hospital use) etc.
- Plant pot and decorations
TRL : 5
Project Leader : Prof. Dato’ Dr. Kamaruzzaman Sopian
Co-Researcher : Prof. Dr. Mohd Hafidz Ruslan, Dr. Sohif Mat, Dr. Adnan Ibrahim
Dept./Fac./Inst : Solar Energy Research Institute (SERI)
Expertise : solar energy technology
InnoqiblaTM: Qibla Finder
The INNOQIBLA system is proposed to facilitate the process of determining and marking the Qibla direction inside building. Acceleration sensors and gyroscopes are used to detect the position of the north angle where this method does not require the sun as a guide to detect the north direction. The data or readings obtained are combined through low and high pass filters as input to the processing centre of the microcomputer unit which output will generate a signal and in turn control and ensure the movement of the laser light is at the desired Qibla angle and in turn control the rotational movement to point at the Qibla angle more accurately and easily.
Interactive & Automated Hearing Screening Device
This is an Android-based automated hearing screening device calibrated according to the ANSI S3.6-2004. The system consists of specially developed hearing screening apps (Android), a sound card, a miniature microphone, and a passive noise cancellation headphone. An algorithm automatically presents the test tone, monitors ambient noise levels, and classifies the test result.