Recovery of High-Purity and High-Value Sialic Acid
This invention recovers the high-value sialic acids from edible bird’s nest (EBN) processing by-products, through enzymatic hydrolysis, and acid hydrolysis. The technology has been patented
INSPIRATION OF THE INVENTION
EBN is made up of sialic acid-rich glycoprotein, which is a precious compound that has various biological functions. However, EBN is a very high-priced product due to the harvesting technique and high processing costs incurred from the laborious cleaning procedure. During EBN processing, there are huge amounts of EBN processing by-products, mainly made up of bird’s feathers with the valuable glycoprotein attached to it, being discarded. This triggers environment concerns and huge economic loss, where sialic acid is worth from USD500 – USD5,000 per kg, depending on its purity.
PROBLEM STATEMENT & CURRENT ISSUES
- EBN processing by-products, which still contain considerable amounts of sialic acid-rich glycoproteins, are discarded.
- This causes environmental concerns and huge economic loss.
INVENTIVENESS & NOVELTY
- This invention utilises EBN processing by-products, which are usually discarded, to recover the high-value sialic acid. The release of the bound sialic acid was performed using enzymatic treatment and acid hydrolysis.
- The use of two enzymes sequentially as well as using optimised acid hydrolysis conditions have improved the release of free sialic acid. The free sialic acid could be separated using various methods, including chromatography and ion exchange methods.
USEFULNESS & APPLICATION
- This invention is highly applicable, especially in EBN processing industries to reduce wastage in the form of EBN processing by-products, as well as producing secondary products from waste material.
- The recovered sialic acid could be applied as a functional ingredient in various products.
IMPACT OF THE PRODUCT
This product is highly competitive, as it is first of its kind, has very low raw material cost, while having very high value in the form of final product. Sialic acid is also well-known for its biological activities, especially in development of cognitive functions.
- EBN processing and manufacturing industry
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Nutraceutical industry
- Functional food & beverage industry
TRL : 5
Project Leader : Dr Lim Seng Joe
Co-researcher : Prof Dr Abdul Salam Babji; Dr Chang Lee Sin, Prof Dr Jalifah Latip, Prof Dr Mamoru Koketsu, Encik Alvin Ling Jin Wei
Dept./Fac./Inst : Department of Food Sciences, Faculty of Science and Technology, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
Expertise : Functional Food and Ingredients
TP 3-in-1™ Fruit Juice Drink
TP 3-in-1™ is an innovation involves a specially formulated beverage consists of a mixture of tropical fruits with a therapeutic dosage of polyphenols to prevent risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s Disease.
Production of Water-Soluble Elastin Peptide Powder
Introducing water-soluble elastin peptide powder from poultry skin, a novel functional ingredient with excellent antioxidative and antihypertensive characteristics for the use in the production of functional food and drinks, anti-aging cosmetics industry, pharmaceutical and regenerative medicine.
Elastin, a structural, highly cross-linked, insoluble protein is found primarily in connective tissues and normally extracted from bovine neck ligaments, pig's aorta and mouse lungs. As Malaysia is largely self sufficient in Halal poultry meat production, we therefore explored different techniques to extract elastin from this new, Halal source of elastin coming from chicken skin waste and had successfully found the best method of extraction which is non-enzymatic, economical and involved the least chemical and time of extraction. The purity and quality characteristics of the resultant elastin powder were also proven to be comparable to that commercially available elastin from bovine neck ligament with evidence of excellent antioxidative and antihypertensive benefits. To our knowledge, this is the first report on elastin extraction from poultry skin.
- Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease commonly experienced by the elderly.
- Joint inflammation plays a role in the development of osteoarthritis.
- Tocotrienol with its anti-inflammatory properties could suppress the development of osteoarthritis at its early stage.
- Tocotrienol was shown to protect cartilage deterioration and lower circulating cartilage markers in rats with osteoarthritis.